Friday, January 30, 2009

A Person Worth Remembering

It was a nice evening in Fresno---I don't know if there are any anymore---and we were having a dance at the stake center on north Cedar, not too far from the place he stayed in while going to Fresno State. The dance was outside in the patio on the south side of the building. (In fact, their wedding reception would later be held there. I sang for them "And This is My Beloved.") I had gone to the front of the building for a little fresh air and alone time and was sitting on the brick planter. This really good looking young man drove up and leaned across the front seat to talk to me. He had dark hair and dark sparkling eyes---and his shirt was unbuttoned, maybe two or three buttons.

He asked what was going on and I tried to explain to him. I invited him in to the building and told him a little about the church and invited him to church the next Sunday to meet with the missionaries. To my great surprise he came. He is five or six years older than me and so our age difference at that particular time caused a little alarm with my parents. Anyway, he listened to the missionaries, the things he heard rang true. He remembered that his mother had taken them to a Mormon church some where in his past.

He was baptised three weeks after meeting the missionaries. I remember that he contemplated serving a mission, but married Pat instead. And I moved away to go to BYU. Pat helped at my wedding reception several years later and because I am lousy at writing and staying in touch it was a long time after I left Fresno as a married woman that I had any contact with these friends.

3 comments:

  1. He was "golden", as they used to say. Ready to hear the gospel, and you were willing to share. What a great memory, Pam. Have you been in touch with them recently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I admire you. I don't know that I would have been so bold/smart to tell him about the church. You changed a life that night. Not just one, either. I wonder how many?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you can reconnect if you haven't already. Friends like that may be far removed but never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete