Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Today I have been thinking about what I could actually put here that might be uplifting and show that I am not always such a loser and negative. And the first thing I came up with was to mention my children. I have eight really nice boys. Six of them have brought daughters-in-law to the mix. All six have chosen wisely. I praise the mothers of those young women and thank them for the quality of persons they raised so that my sons would have the ultimate benefit.

Each of these men has a different and unique personality. I used to think that if you were raised in the same family in the same community that you would be more alike but that has proven not to be true. Similar in some respects. But not alike. We did scouting faithfully in our family. The boys each earned the rank of Eagle Scout --- sometimes under the tuteledge of their father as scout master, sometimes with others. We have heard what they learned from some of the scout masters and are glad their father was with them most of the time. I would hope that as they grow older and have opportunity that they will also serve in the scouting organization. Their father and I each have the Silver Beaver award and have spent many years even since their activity in volunteering. In fact, the dad is still working with scouts as a trainer and commissioner.

More later. The clock tells me I am almost late for my job.

2 comments:

  1. The hard part about coming into a ward after children are grown is that we don't get to know the whole family. I feel I've really missed out by not knowing all of your boys.

    Not having sons, I was not involved in Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts at all. I have male cousins tho, who have earned their Eagles, and it shows in the way they conduct themselves and live their lives. Not that scouting is exclusively responsible for how they turned out, but it has definitely had an impact. And they, in turn, have stayed involved because they have experienced what Scouting does for young man, and want the same for their boys and others.

    My heartiest thanks to you and your husband for all the effort and hours you have put into Scouting over the years. You have truly made a difference in the lives of these boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got another follower! I look forward to reading more about my friend and neighbor (since you live so far away!) It was fun to see Wes and his cute family, and I hope you had a wonderful holiday with your family.

    I've also made a vow to get into this blogging thing, if for no one other than myself. I see the years rolling by and wonder what I've done and where they've gone. Hopefully it will help me remember if I ever get around to writing a history.

    By the way, I got the Cricut Expressions for Christmas and am going to a Cricut club class on Saturday if you want to come!

    ReplyDelete