Saturday, April 25, 2009

We said goodbye to a very dear friend today. I know she's pretty busy catching up with her family, but I hope she finds time to say hi to my mom. With only a couple of exceptions the funeral was a very nice meeting and remembrance of a lovely lady, a strong disciple of her savior, and example to all.

Even in such a reverent setting, I couldn't help the caustic comment that "that isn't allowed," when the grandson made oral references from the pulpit about the music he was about to play. And HE was even there! What was that about. I'm sure no one got a scotch blessing out of that. No, I am NOT bitter.

What I want to say about this situation is that there is never anything wrong with a slight introduction and explanation of a piece of music when it adds to the moment. In fact, I think it adds to the enjoyment, or even worship, when you can understand a little about the selection. I totally enjoyed that piece of music and the young man made it even more enjoyable by his comments about his grandmother.

Onward.

The men in my dad's little girl's life went on a backpacking trip this weekend. No one was particularly prepared and they bit off a little more than they could do. Each one of them is of course older than the last time they tried this and so time takes it's toll. And even tho they made lemonade out of their lemons (I can fill this up with cliches) they are a bit disappointed, not to mention pooped.

I thought about all the projects I could pick from to accomplish while this precious time was mine. There was painting the hallway, moving the fridge (first removing the cabinets that are in the way), sewing for those cute little granddaughters, reading, sleeping, watching movies. But there was my dad and then my brother and then my aunt needed her hair colored, and my friend needed to be funeralized and I had to do a little grocery shopping and there was dad again and then they came home... I bet you can't guess how many projects I was able to finish!

Last week was third grade, first grade, and then fourth grade. Monday I go all the way to fifth grade! That hasn't happened yet this year. But the teacher has lost her position at the school because of budget cuts and is off to apply at another school district. We all need some kind of work so I hope she is successful. Wednesday I drop down to first grade and again on Friday.

I think that chocolatey cream cheesy cupcake sounds pretty good. So do caramels rolled in sea salt. Maybe we should make some more cards.

2 comments:

  1. Loved that "Tribute" that Bernice's grandson played. Yes, his comments made it all the more lovely, and wow!did you see how he put his heart and soul into the way he played it?

    I'm sorry you didn't get your projects done, but Pam, you chose the better part. Many of us forget to do that sometimes. You blessed the lives of your dad, brother, aunt, and also the lives of Bernice's family. You done good, Girl. Call me when you're ready to paint. Nothing is work when you have a friend to do it with you. I'm not bad with a paintbrush, but can't sing worth a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot, I didn't read this in time! The chocolate-cream cheese cupcakes are all gone. I'll be sure to give you some from the next batch!

    ReplyDelete