Thursday, April 9, 2009

I was in a first grade class this week and again experienced the Tongan prophet who probably should be in a higher grade but isn't. Math was taught after lunch and Pro sat on the floor in the back of the group and proceeded to go to sleep---even stretching out on the floor. The kids said that he did that all the time and I was supposed to send him to the office. No, I said, and invited Pro to sit up by me where he could hear and participate in the math lesson.

I wonder how many times we allow the children to "rule" in the classroom and "get away with" actions such as this so they don't have to learn. Even in a class of only 21 students it's easy to pass on the kids who are trying to get attention in any way they can think of. They begin to fall thru the cracks even in first grade and learn how to manipulate the whole system long before they fail out of high school. I am truly sorry for these children who are looking for the easiest way to "get things done." What kind of people will be our teachers, government officials, etc., in the future? I quake in my boots at the possible answer to this question.

On another note, I think I see a daffodil trying to bloom in my "garden." And the tulips have heads, just not blossoms yet. There is hope...

2 comments: