Friday, April 17, 2009

My Mother

Mom passed away almost three years ago. Her mortal birthday was April 5th and so I of course have been thinking of her. I was reminded of a monologue I heard once on a tv show. It was so touching to me that I played it back over and over again until I had it word for word. Here it is for, I hope, your enjoyment:

Your mother is always with you. She's the whisper of the leaves as you walk down the street. She's the smell of bleach in your freshly laundered sox. She's the cool hand on your brow when you're not well. Your mother lives inside your laughter and she's crystallized in every teardrop.

She's the place you came from---your first home---and she's the map you follow with every step that you take. She's your first love and your first heart-break and nothing on earth can separate you, not time, not space, not even death.

I've got another one for next time.

3 comments:

  1. That's beautiful, Pam. I look forward to the next one.

    Your mom passed so recently -- three years is but a heartbeat -- you must feel her absence acutely, and miss her terribly.

    My mom passed away over 35 years ago, but I still hear her sometimes in the words I speak, and see her when I look at my sister. Nothing can separate us, it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pammie, oh Pammie. Thank you. I can hardly swallow past the tears. Mom has been gone 22 years this June and I miss her as much today as I ever have. In fact, I think it's getting worse.

    I love you for printing this and for a bunch of other reasons, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful words, and so true. There is nothing like a mother's love.

    I, too, look forward reading more.

    ReplyDelete